Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fungus, Weeds, and Flowers

Yesterday I started planting in our garden.  It was a fairly hot day - like probably in the high 60's low 70's when I started.  Yes Tucson people, be jealous - that is hot up here!  As I took all my equipment outside I stopped to appreciate all the "weeds" that are sprouting in our empty flower beds and around the lawn.  So I thought I would share with you how pretty our weeds are here.


Empty Garden :(
First, here is our garden area.  That is our tractor way over there in the top right to give you an idea of size.  It looks kinda small in this picture, well probably compared to other Michigan gardens it is small but to us it seems gigantic.

Wild Mustard
This is Wild Mustard.  Considered a weed and not one easily gotten rid of but you can actually use the leaves in a salad.  Hmmm, may have to try that - why not as long as it is already growing there.  But it is really pretty with all those tiny yellow flowers.


Dandelion
  

Dandelion

And this of course is the Dandelion.  You can also use this weed for many things.  The greens can be used in salads, and parts of it (I have no idea which parts) can be used to make a wine.  Some out front are starting to into the magical puff balls the kids love to blow around to of course make more of these "pesky" weeds.




And this gorgeous thing, I have no idea what it is.  But I love it!  So pretty, so green!  So if any of you Michiganders know what this is - please, please tell me.  I think it may be a "Leafy Spurge" or some kind of spurge anyway.  But I am not sure.



And these little boogers - well we have been stomping around the state land near our house in hopes of finding them because everyone keeps telling us how delicious they are.  We have looked multiple times with no success.  Cameron was cleaning the yard on Sunday and guess what he finds to the west of the house.  Right under the bedroom windows next to a pine tree.  Yep - Morel Mushrooms!  Now we just have to fry some up and see how they taste.

And lastly, I am patiently waiting for Mom and Dad to come back home so we can do something with all these flower beds.  In the meantime, Cameron and I went to the nursery in Grand Rapids to get some plants for the garden and I couldn't resist picking up this little beauty and bringing her home.

Begonia: "Camilla"
That's it so far folks.  Miss you all like crazy and can't wait to see you again.

1 comment: